Number of participants: 8-10 people
Clear blue skies, piercing white snow, packs of sled dogs, and a chance to watch the northern lights unfold in the night sky. This tour gives you a multitude of possibilities to create an amazing Arctic winter adventure!
Kangerlussuaq at the Greenland Ice Sheet
You spend the first two days in Kangerlussuaq. Situated in a white ice desert your experience of Arctic winter will be impressive. Free roaming musk oxen and reindeer are other typical features of the landscape, and if you are lucky, you might get to see some of these Arctic animals in their natural habitat.
Arctic Adventure in Sisimiut
The journey continues to Sisimiut, where you spend the next five days. This picturesque town lies just inside the Polar Circle. It is the northernmost town in Greenland to have an ice-free harbor throughout the winter season, and, at the same time, it is the southernmost town to have sled dogs. With 5,500 inhabitants, Sisimiut is Greenland’s second largest town and boasts an interesting mix of businesses, including fishing and hunting using dog sleds, while young people study to become Arctic engineers.
There is no shortage of fine, clean snow here during winter. In February and March, you can experience a proper Arctic winter in Kangerlussuaq and Sisimiut with average temperatures dropping to around minus 15 celsius. During cold spells, the temperature might drop as far as minus 30-40C. Fortunately, it never feels as cold as it sounds, thanks to low humidity, bright sun, and clear blue skies.
Dog sledding and northern lights
There are many ways to explore winter-clad Sisimiut, and you have an abundance of opportunities to try dog sledding, hikes, cross-country, and alpine skiing, boat trips, museum visits, and watching local artists at work. And when the day is over, sit in the hot tubs of the hotel and turn your gaze upwards to marvel at the magic of the northern lights unfolding in the sky. A real Greenlandic winter adventure!
- A funfilled winter activity holiday
- Drive through the tundra and walk ON the Inland Ice Cap.
- Marvel at the Northern Lights
- Don’t miss a trip to the impressive Russell Glacier
- Enjoy an authentic dog sledding trip
- Experience local life and the colourful houses of Ilulissat.
- Return flights Copenhagen – Kangerlussuaq – Sisimiut with Air Greenland
- 3 nights at Hotel Kangerlussuaq
- 4 nights at Hotel Sisimiut
- Breakfast all days
- Welcome dinner at Hotel Sisimiut (excl. drinks)
- Food and beverages on board the Air Greenland flight Copenhagen – Kangerlussuaq
- Welcome meetings in both towns*
- All flight/transportation taxes and fees known to Greenland Travel at the time of publishing.
- Contribution to Travel Guarantee Fund
- 20 kg of checked baggage and 8 kg of cabin baggage
*Local tour guides are English speaking