Christmas in Greenland is a uniquely beautiful and peaceful experience and, on top of that, it’s covered in snow. You can relax and recharge your batteries, but also experience the magic of Christmas with the traditional, orange, Greenlandic Christmas stars, the northern lights, dog sledding, and some nice walks and hikes.
Christmas Eve in Greenland
On December 24th, the restaurant at Hotel Arctic will serve a traditional Scandinavian Christmas Eve dinner with pork and duck. Greenlanders, like Scandinavians and the Germans, celebrate Christmas on the 24th and not on December 25th.
Winter in Greenland in December
On this trip, you will get a unique chance to travel north of the Arctic Circle during the Polar Night. The Polar Night is the opposite of its famous “sister,” the Midnight Sun. During the Polar Night, the sun does not rise above the horizon for several months. However, your days will not be pitch black, of course. In the middle of the day, you will see a dusk-like light in the sky. Inside the town, the streets are also lit and there is an orange glow from the many Christmas stars displayed in the windows of the local homes.
Books and games
You will get a lot of outdoor experiences on this trip, but there will also be a lot of time to relax. Bring the books that you didn’t get to read this year, your crosswords and possibly some easily transportable games. There might be some of your co-travelers who are up for a fun game of cards or checkers.
- Experience the lovely atmosphere surrounding Christmas in Greenland
- Stay in the Town of Icebergs
- See the UNESCO World Heritage Site Ilulissat Ice Fjord up close
- Sail among gigantic icebergs
- Try authentic dogsledding
- Marvel at the Northern Lights
- Return flights Copenhagen – Kangerlussuaq – Ilulissat
- 5 nights at Hotel Arctic with private facilities
- Welcome dinner in Ilulissat at Hotel Arctic, excl. drinks
- Scandinavian Christmas Dinner on December 24 at Hotel Arctic, excl. drinks
- Food and beverages on board the Air Greenland flight Copenhagen – Kangerlussuaq return
- Information meetings
- Sightseeing in Ilulissat
- All flight/transportation taxes and fees known to Greenland Travel at the time of publishing
- Contribution to Travel Guarantee Fund
- 20 kg of checked baggage and 8 kg of cabin baggage
English/Danish speaking guide